Having the largest platform of online audiences it is no secret that Facebook has become a favourite advertising platform among advertisers and marketers.
You cannot simply deny Facebook ad platform, they’re easy to use, targets a vast audience and are profitable.
In June 2015, much to advertisers delight, a new ad type was announced – Facebook Lead Ads.
It takes Facebook ads a step further, while initially looking like a conventional ad it comes with a pre-filled form of information the users have shared on Facebook, as a result allowing businesses to directly obtain high-quality and specific information of their prospects.
Basically, Facebook lead ads are an ad format that lets your potential customers sign up for what you’re offering without leaving Facebook. If they click on your ad, they simply tap on a pop-up form prefilled with the data you want (and that they share with Facebook) and you’ll get those contact info to follow up with them.
Let us now find out about Facebook lead ads in a more detailed way and why it is so exciting for marketers and advertisers.
What is a Facebook Lead Ad?
Facebook rolled out lead ads to overcome people’s perception towards filling out forms as they’ve said so in their announcement news article.
Facebook offers a wide range of ad types and you may choose with according to your business and its goals.
Lead generation ads are useful if your goal is to prompt users to apply for something, sign up for a promotion or a course, get more information, subscribe to newsletters or download something etc.
The best part of a Facebook Lead Ad is that you do not need a landing page for your ad.
In a traditional lead generation conversion path, users are directed to a landing page to fill out a form. In order to collect their lead information, they’re needed to leave Facebook altogether to go to other website’s landing page.
This is useful in finding high-quality leads because these people are willing to make the extra effort of filling out a form to obtain your content.
Facebook Lead Ads, however, instead of sending your prospects to a landing page allow your potential customers to fill out a form and access your offers/requests without leaving the Facebook page.
This feature solves the problem of a longer click-through path for the users and you can gain the lead information on the Facebook platform itself. By auto-filling a form with user details Facebook Lead Ads creates a seamless experience for users, thus getting a better form of conversion rates.
How Do Facebook Lead Ads Work?
Facebook Lead Ads work similarly as other Facebook ad types. The advertiser sets up an ad through Facebook’s Ad Manager or Power Editor and customizes it according to his needs, business objectives and customer preferences.
Facebook lead generation ads deliver email addresses directly to your database. Unlike other ad types, lead ads include a contact form for people to fill out if they’re interested in your product or service.
Facebook then uses the information provided by the marketer to display these ads on the news feeds of your potential customers.
Lead ads contain two elements: the ad and the lead form, which is hosted by Facebook or Instagram.
On the lead ad’s contact form, you can request an email address and other contact information from your prospects. When you create the form, you can choose from a variety of questions or create your own custom questions.
Subsequently, if leads are captured, Facebook lets you download them manually or you can connect to a CRM.
How to Set Up Facebook Lead Ads
Now, are you ready to set up your lead ad? First things first, ensure your operations and legal business departments that Facebook Lead Ads fall in line with your company’s policies, review any form fields your company plans to ask and confirm that your intent falls in lines with Facebook’s lead ads policies.
Although it may seem daunting to set up compared to a traditional ad but are actually simple once you know how they work.
Once you are ready, make sure that you also have:
- Access to your business’ Facebook page.
- An image for your ad.
- Head off to Power Editor and click “Download to Power Editor” at the top of the page. Select your ad account and hit “Download”.
- If you’re using the Ads Manager, Click “Create Ad” on the top right. If you’re using the power editor, Click “Create Campaign” on the top left.
- Next, choose the “Lead Generation” as the objective of your campaign.
- Set the details of your account (Country, Timezone, Ad Unit Currency).
- In the Page section, choose your business page that you’d like to use to create lead ads. Click View Terms. Review the Lead Ad Terms of Service and select ‘’I Agree to Terms and Conditions’’.
- Set your audience, placements and budget and schedule. Customize your target by location, age, gender, language, and hundreds of other target settings. The ticker on the right will show you the total size of the audience you’re trying to reach. However, you cannot target lead ads to people under the age of 18.
- Choose whether you want an automatic placement of your ad or if you’d like to customize the placement based on your own preferences.
- Customize the budget for the ad. Determine with your team how much budget you’re willing to spend for one ad. Choose a budget that seems reasonable based on prior research. Next, schedule a start and end date for your ad. You may customise schedule further by selecting Delivery Type in Advanced Options, which has two options: Standard and Accelerated. “Standard” means that your ads are spaced throughout the day to spend your budget evenly. “Accelerated“, on the other hand, will deliver your ads as quickly as possible. This setting is used for time-sensitive promotions or if you need to quickly reach your audience.
- Now comes the fun part – designing your ad. Facebook offers various layouts and ad designs options. Play around with different creative options before choosing the one which works best for you.
- Create your lead form. First, customize the headline, text, and CTA (Call To Action) for the ad display page. Be specific so the user knows what they will get by clicking on the CTA of your ad.
- Next, choose which information you want to collect from your leads on the “questions” tab. You can also customise your questions. Under Custom question (optional) click + Add Custom Question. You can ask up to 15 custom questions.
- Eventually, customize your Thank You screen. Add a compelling custom screen to keep your leads engaged after submitting their form.
- Click form preview to ensure the form looks like it should. Always double check and proofread your work.
- Click finish to complete your form. Although it is optional, you can also “select a CRM” to collect submission information in the Leads Setup section.
- Alternatively, you can click Save if you may want to make changes later or haven’t finished completing your form.
- The final step is to click the “Place Order” button.
Benefits of Facebook Lead Ads
Furthermore, lead ads can be beneficial to both prospects and users. It helps you in jumping over some fundamental hurdles in lead generation. Facebook Lead Ads help in:
- Super simple to set up and easily understood by the users.
- The user data is taken directly from Facebook which provides accurate details.
- Improving the quality of lead generation.
- Acquiring the right leads with Facebook’s target options.
- Retargeting prospects who have engaged previously with your lead ads or website.
- Connecting CRM helps you in downloading leads faster and take real-time actions on new leads.
Disadvantages of Facebook Lead Ads
- Result in a lot of poor quality leads.
- Cannot be optimized for anything other than leads.
- You have to duplicate and redo the form if you need to make any changes.
- Will need a third-party app to download leads unless downloaded manually.
So there you go! That was almost everything about Facebook Lead Ads you needed to know to get started with and how to set them up, how they work, its benefits and running lead generation.
If you have any extra inputs that you think I missed out on, let me know!